Monday, June 18, 2007

henry and anais remind me how to lo[i]ve

I spent the afternoon with Henry Miller and Anais Nin. I’ve uncovered a secret I did not want to look at. But I will listen to it. Whispering. In these words. Of lovers. Friends. And mostly...just…artists…

HENRY MILLER:

An artist is always alone - if he is an artist. No, what the artist needs is loneliness.

I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive.


ANAIS NIN:

Do not seek the because - in love there is no because, no reason, no explanation, no solutions.

Life is truly known only to those who suffer, lose, endure adversity and stumble from defeat to defeat.

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.

If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it.

Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.

We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment